Friday 12 August 2011

Rap vs Hip Hop

What's Rap? What's Hip Hop? It's the same thing isn't it? WRONG!!!! Don't ever let an Emcee hear you say something like this. You'll be cooked alive! I don't want to stay too long on this topic, but here goes. My understanding...

Rap is simply poetry over rhythm. Yes it's a corny thing that I say Poetry over Rhythm seeing  Rap stands for Rhythm and Poetry. It's A-B-Cs like "The Cat sat on the mat" and then elaborating on that story. Having said that i'm not dumbing down the genre 'cause there are some really great Rap songs out there. Off the top of my head Domino's Sweet Potato Pie, a song that'll kick-start a party anytime, and Classic Crossroads by Bone Thugs and Harmony that'll have you reminiscing about everything! Rap is ...a subgenre of Hip Hop. Classic Rapper? Tupac. He was The Master of Rap.

Hip Hop is all about lyrical prowess. Punchlines, figures of speech, wit, content, flow, delivery...it's a serious art! English class all over again, without the Lame English teacher who doesn't have an imagination to really drive the magic, that English can bring, through to you. I can think of countless songs that are seriously awesome!!!! Hip Hop is huge. It's a lifestyle. I'm not going to go to deep into this 'cause I KNOW it's quite a controversial one. Classic Emcee? Biggie. Every dude out there will tell you, that He was THAT dude.

Still not catching on? Listen to the two tracks I've posted...If after that you STILL don't get it, try listening to Notorious Thugs by Biggie and Bone Thugs and Harmony. Biggie murks dudes by using their distinct flow to do his sh**. You can clearly hear the difference between Rap and Hip Hop here.

Well this was just me saying what I understand about the two. What do you think?



No comments: